I know that everyone else seems to be over the whole vampire thing, but I can't move on until I've finished reading Charlaine Harris's Sookie Stackhouse series! I picked up the latest in Sookie's adventures on the weekend and devoured it as if I was a vampire and the book was European royalty (a particular delicacy, I've heard). But rather than feeling satisfied, I felt kind of sad. Poor Sookie! Her vampire lover Eric is still delivering on the spectacular sex side, but he seems to have lost his funny. That's right. The man vamp used to be bloody hilarious (har har) but the funny is really lacking in this book. Everything is serious and violent and dour. It's entertaining but missing the giggles I've come to expect from the big Viking stud. I still really enjoy the way that Sookie handles all the crap that comes her way...'Oh, it's nice that elves exist and that there's homicidal vampires tramping around the state, but I have a baby shower to organise, plus my workplace is not racking in the money anymore so I have some bigger things to worry about, y'all.' It really seems to be the way we all react to things. Stressing about the big issues for an hour but then pondering what to have for dinner the next.
It hasn't really been a very cheerful reading week for me! Not only was I reading depressing vampire fiction, but I also re-read Chloe Hooper's The Tall Man, which is about an Aboriginal man's death in custody on Palm Island. If there is any book that makes you want to be a crusading lawyer, it is The Tall Man. It's literary non-fiction, in that the writing is lyrical and powerful, and extremely devastating. I can't even begin to describe how amazing this book is, so I am going to take the cheat's way out and not even try! Read it for yourself and find out.
The other book I've been reading is Berlin: The Downfall, but do we really need to deal with WWII on hump day? Surely that's a Friday sort of book, when your depression about nastiness can be equalled out by the...WEEKEND WOOOOOOOO. And even though there's no royal wedding this weekend, you know what's even more entertaining than crazy royals and their hats? Doctor (please be mine) Who and his big blue love box. He's going to take me on a journey through time and space and that's even cooler than a Sarah Burton for Alexander McQueen wedding dress. That's right people! A new season started last week. So wave the union jacks around for an occasion that's really worth it.
No comments:
Post a Comment